The Faroes: A Wild Paradise

If you’re starting to think of unusual holiday destinations for 2018, or even the Tattie Holidays, then I’ve maybe got one for you. In May I went on a press trip to the Faroes, a tiny cluster of islands in the North Atlantic. It sounds remote but you can hop on a direct flight from Edinburgh and be there in just over an hour. Before you know it you’ve landed in this breathtaking landscape that I’ve been describing as awesome with a dose of epic thrown in.

I didn’t take my little ones, as it was a work trip so they were in daddy daycare, but I don’t see any reason why I couldn’t have done – they would have loved the beaches and all the sheep! This destination isn’t a sun trap but if you’re passionate about the scenery of Scotland then you’ll instantly find affinity with the Faroes – the sweeping valleys, the rugged hillsides, the picturesque coastal villages.

The Faroes is ideal for those who love the great outdoors, hiking, wildlife, good food and adventure. It’s also known for knitwear as the jumper worn in The Killing by Sarah Lund is Faroese – the knitwear shops offer up some gorgeous wools and dresses as well as cosy sweaters. I really coveted the white creation below – how practical.

The food is excellent. The Faroese have quite a simple larder but they’re imaginative with it. On the whole, only hardy animals and plants flourish, for example rather than savouring delicate strawberries we were sipping on rhubarb cordial. I found it much more refreshing than most soft drinks available in restaurants and bars back home. Rhubarb style Kir Royale was another favourite of mine. Lots of glorious slow cooked meat was served in ‘Aarstova’, a wonderful seafood restaurant called ‘Barbara’ dished up beautiful horse mussels and cod, and excellent “Heimablídni” or home-dining was provided in the dining room of a local farmer. Home dining would work work exceptionally well for families, the couple we visited were warm and friendly, and they even had kittens.

20170513_164507

The glamorous side of Faroese knitwear

If the Faroe Islands pique your interest then I wrote an article for the Press and Journal which has a lot more detail in it about accommodation, restaurants and specific dramatic hikes so do take a read here. It loads slowly, piece by piece, so go easy!

Oh, and do try ræst – that was a new one to me. Ræst is a very specific flavour and method of preserving food. Foreigners react to ræst in the Faroes in a similar way to how they react to haggis in Scotland – lots of questions and uncertainties over something we consider quite commonplace. But you’ve got to try everything once.

I can almost guarantee you’ll return bright eyed and almost literally blown away by the Faroes.

20170514_133521

Home dining in the Faroes

If you like what you read then don’t miss a post, enter your email address in the ‘Follow’ box then click ‘Follow’ or join the conversation on Facebook. For any queries or opportunities please email tots2travel@hotmail.com. The Faroes trip was courtesy of Atlantic Airways (which flies direct from Edinburgh) and Visit Faroe Islands.

motherhoodtherealdeal

August 28, 2017

Wow it looks so rugged and breathtaking and an amazing place to get away from it all and connect with nature!

August 28, 2017

It’s stunning, but equally you can just dip into Torshavn for a taste of city living.

The Money Shed (@TheMoneyShed)

August 28, 2017

What a great post. Those views are amazing, the sort you just wouldn’t get elsewhere.

August 28, 2017

I loved the brightly coloured houses too, especially those with the signature grass roofs.

Dean B

August 28, 2017

That does look amazing! Faroes does look like a wild paradise. Would love to visit too. I do love the view from that restaurant.

August 28, 2017

You’re never short of staggering viewpoints in the Faroes.

Laura Dove

August 28, 2017

Wow how lovely! I have heard a lot about the Faroes and keep saying that we should visit, hopefully one day!

August 29, 2017

It’s so close to the UK and culturally quite familiar yet wonderfully different.

Ana De-Jesus

August 29, 2017

I have not been to Scotland yet but I would like to as I think the wild beauty is a spectacle that any nature lover like myself can enjoy. Glad you had a good time x

August 29, 2017

It’s funny you should say that as it does look really Scottish, I kept saying that. The Faroes is very independent with its own currency but comes under Denmark and you can spend Danish Krone there too.

Sophie's Nursery (@sophiesnursery)

August 29, 2017

I love Scotland so would love this! Looks beautiful & the perfect place to spot wildlife x

August 29, 2017

Yes, if you love the landscape of Scotland you’ll love the feel of the Faroes.

Chloe Ciliberto

August 29, 2017

Wow it looks so beautiful and the food sounds so quirky but delicious. That wool dress is definitely something! The Faroes sounds like such a cosy little retreat, somewhere to go when you need fresh air and peace and quiet! 😀 x

August 31, 2017

Not the most practical dress, but fashion doesn’t have to be about everyday life does it?

steph_baybee

August 31, 2017

Oh it’s so pretty there, what a great place to visit

August 31, 2017

Really dramatic scenery at every turn.

Michelle Murray

August 31, 2017

Oh wow, it looks absolutely stunning and the views are amazing

September 1, 2017

A breath of fresh air.

Kaz & Ickle Pickle (@IcklePicklex)

August 31, 2017

It looks such an awesome place, what an experience to visit there! Kaz x

September 1, 2017

It was great. Not somewhere I knew much about so a real eye opener.

September 1, 2017

I would love to visit the Faroe Islands and see more of Scotland. Looks like you had a fab time

September 1, 2017

I found the Faroes really familiar in many ways, and very similar to Scotland in terms of aspects of the landscape and the connection with the land/sea. Stunning place.

Louise x (@withlovefromlou)

September 18, 2017

I’ve never been to the Faroes before. They look great though. I may have to look into them further 🙂

Louise x