Days Out – Easter Egg Hunts for Tots

We’re going on an Egg Hunt, I’m going to find a Big one, What a beautiful day, I Love Chocolate.

Sharpen those elbows as it’s time to race the kids to find the chocolate eggs but thankfully the National Trust and Cadbury have pulled it out of the hat once again.

24493921954_b9b8bb24fc_k

Courtesy of the National Trust for Scotland

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland they are hosting 250 egg hunts through woodlands, castles, country houses and walled gardens.  No tot will be left empty handed as they will all receive a chocolate treat.  And in Scotland the National Trust for Scotland and Cadbury are hosting around 50 egg hunts for northern tots – on my doorstep alone there will chocolate seeking missiles (children) running amock in Crathes Castle, Drum Castle, Haddo House, Fraser Castle, Craigievar Castle, Fyvie Castle, Brodie Castle and Mar Lodge.  That’s a lot of chocolate…

24756908659_d9c1e6e1c0_k

Courtesy of the National Trust for Scotland

If anyone’s been following BBC Scotland’s Lady Lairds documentary then you might be tempted by Catherine Maxwell-Stuart’s (the Laird of Traquair’s) Easter Eggstravaganza on Easter Sunday.  For me letting tots search for over 5000 eggs … in a maze … really ups the ante.  “See you in two days darling” – surely they can sustain themselves on the eggs.

EASTER EGGSTRAVAGANZA

Courtesy of Traquair House

If you prefer your chocolate on the go then the Easter Eggspress at the Caledonian Railway in Angus piqued my interest.  On Sunday 27 March 2016 tots can search for eggs at Brechin and Bridge of Dun station -find the eggs to enter a prize draw. The railway journey itself is four miles long with the return trip taking about an hour and ALL passengers (big or small – I approve) will be given a chocolate egg on the return leg.

For those wandering around the daffodils in the Lake District then get some focus at the North of England’s biggest Easter Egg Hunt, Where is Peter Rabbit Treasure Trail 2016, on Saturday 9 April 2016.  Children and adults search for 150 handcrafted ceramic eggs made by local artist Sue Dunne and prizes include overnight stays in Lake District hotels and tickets for the World of Beatrix Potter’s new show ‘Where is Peter Rabbit?’ Let’s face it he’s probably lost looking for eggs.  Registration online is required to take part and participants are asked to donate a minimum of £2 to Water Aid per family so a challenging day out also donates thousands to charity at the same time.

Egg Hunt Small 3 2011

Courtesy of World Of Beatrix Potter Attraction © Steven Barber Photography Ltd

And lastly if you’re feeling a little regal then take the chance to visit the Balmoral Estate in Royal Deeside.  It’s running Easter Egg hunts on all days over Easter but on Saturday 26 March 2016 there’s additional face painting and you can decorate your own Easter biscuit.

So good luck, and may the best tot win.  Having written this I really do need to eat some chocolate.

ADDITIONAL INFO

For those who can’t make it to a National Trust property Cadbury also have a Fun at Home kit you can download with tips and ideas to create an egg hunt in your own house/garden.  It even includes a bunny ears template, bunny face paint instructions and advice on how to create a bunny tail (I’m feeling a little Bridget Jones about all this but it would look great on the kids).

If you like what you read then don’t miss a post – enter your email address in the Follow box and click ‘Follow’ – not too taxing.  And of course you can join the conversation on Facebook.

For any queries or opportunities please email tots2travel@hotmail.com.  There’s a whole world to explore…

Little Steps/Dean B (@LittleStepsTwit)

March 24, 2016

We always go to a National Trust property for easter egg hunts as my daughter really enjoys them and they are such fun activities 🙂

March 24, 2016

Well I hope you get good weather this weekend.

Mark

March 24, 2016

We have a National Trust Easter egg hunt near us this year.

I keep checking the weather looking for a gap in the rain but it’s not looking great. Then again, for chocolate I may just don the wellies and head out anyway.

March 24, 2016

For chocolate people will do an awful lot…

joannavictoria

March 24, 2016

The national trust have got some stuff on local to us this year which looks like fun.

March 24, 2016

What I love is that the NT have stuff on for Easter close to almost everyone, it’s hard not to be close to an NT or NTS property so nobody’s left out.

Leah Miller

March 24, 2016

This is lovely, we attend an easter egg hunt at our local National Trust, Stansted House. It has never been a disappointment, unlike many others we have attempted! I love the first photo in this post, so pretty xx

March 25, 2016

Thank you.
      Googled Stagnated House and it looks lovely. What a lush day out. Enjoy.

Healthy Cooking Mom

March 24, 2016

We love national trust and saw the egg hunt advertised, but we cant go to any because my boy is in a leg cast until easter! I will check out the cadbury download though. Thank you for sharing. – Marie

March 25, 2016

A chocolate egg hunt in the garden is fab for any kid, and even more practical for your poor wee lad in the cast. Hope he is running around again in no time.

Healthy Cooking Mom

March 27, 2016

Thank you :).one week to go then the cast comes off!

March 27, 2016

You’ll all be counting the days. Good luck.

Alana

March 24, 2016

I’ve never been to a proper Easter egg hunt, but it sounds like fun! I’ll look for one of these events close to us when our little one is a bit older.

March 25, 2016

Yes, things like Christmas and Easter definitely get more fun as children get that little bit older. Something to look forward to.

fifi + hop

March 25, 2016

Sounds fun!

Chilling with Lucas

March 25, 2016

I’ve never been on an Easter egg hunt, definitely going to start them as a tradition when Lucas can walk x

March 25, 2016

Something to look forward to 🙂

Rachel

March 25, 2016

I cant remember ever doing an Easter Egg hunt as a child, I am not even sure we did them x

March 25, 2016

I know. I think Easter is getting bigger and bigger every year, but it’s a lovely idea and gets kids outside and running around.

Tori Gabriel

March 25, 2016

Oh wow! I love how they go all out for Easter. Hopefully by the time next Easter rolls around I’ll be driving and able to visit a National Trust property with the kids.

March 25, 2016

You’ll find it so liberating, you’ll be nipping off in the car everywhere. Lots of luck with the lessons, and roll on next Easter (pun intended).

Grant Robson

March 26, 2016

We’ve been on some National Trust for Scotland family events before and they’re so well organised. This will be great fun!

Kara Guppy

March 28, 2016

We love NT egg hunts, they are so popular here that last year they run out of eggs

March 28, 2016

I hope you weren’t left empty handed. Despite my age I’d be tearful.

The Parenting Trials (@sarahnblogger)

March 28, 2016

Aww were a huge fan of easter egg hunts, we did one near us was fantastic and kids love it.. this one looks brilliant xx

March 28, 2016

Glad you had a good time. Children and chocolate, lively combination!

Raffa

March 29, 2016

We actually do our own easter egg hunt and then we donate the eggs we find to a charity!

March 29, 2016

That’s a lovely idea. I might try to incorporate something like that next year.

Fi Ni neachtain

March 29, 2016

So many amazing days out, I wish we had just as many here in Ireland. The Peter Rabbit trail would be a favourite of mine I’m sure 🙂

April 1, 2016

The Peter Rabbit trail does look good – proper clues and rewards too. We’re in Ireland usually once a year but I’m not sure what part you’re from but we’ve had great holidays and days out in Ireland.

Traveling Rockhopper

April 1, 2016

I’ve never done it myself, because there was no tradition like that in my country; but I’d like to try it one day 🙂

April 1, 2016

It can be really simple. As our tots are so young we ended up hiding eggs in the garden and they loved it. When they’re older we’ll probably participate in a bigger group egg hunt. They’re gaining more popularity here.

Traveling Rockhopper

April 1, 2016

it’s a nice tradition 🙂

Rashminotes

April 1, 2016

Sounds like so much fun!