Scottish Ballet for Kids – Wee Hansel & Gretel

weehgI really want to get my tots into dance, any type of dance, therefore I’m quite delighted that Scottish Ballet has adapted its winter  performance of Hansel & Gretel for little ones, engaging children with dance and theatre at a young age.  Called Wee Hansel & Gretel the performances have been shortened to a child-friendly hour long show, accompanied by a live performance from the Scottish Ballet Orchestra.

As well as keeping kids active and healthy, dance instils discipline, and I personally loved the teamwork and camaraderie I experienced when a performance was pulled together.  There’s also harsh competition to get any lead role so it’s not as gentle an arena as it sometimes appears. Lastly, taking part in dance opened to my eyes to a range of  creative careers- lighting technician, violinist, choreographer, theatre manager, make-up artist, costume designer – that I simply wasn’t learning about at school or elsewhere. I’ll get off my tiny soapbox now…

Wee Hansel & Gretel is recommended for those aged three and over. Performances take place in Edinburgh’s Festival Theatre on the 16 December, Glasgow’s Theatre Royal on 13 January, Aberdeen’s His Majesty’s Theatre on 20 January, Inverness’ Eden Court 27 January and Newcastle’s Theatre Royal on 3 February 2017.  Admittedly these are Friday afternoons so most children are at school, which is a shame, but an ideal opportunity for 3-5 year olds to get some grand theatres all to themselves without those pesky big brothers and sisters stealing the limelight.

ar2_4563-hansel-and-gretel

Some of the promotional material shows ballerinas mixing with the children, allowing them to touch the tutu and see the stage makeup and pointe shoes close up.  I hope this happens across the country and children begin a relationship discovering the magic of dance.

If you’re not sure if ballet is your bag then an hour long show might be a good reintroduction, and these performances could also be a good excuse for a family city break if you fancy a wee jaunt.  Just saying.

ar2_3451-hansel-and-gretel

If you like what you read then don’t miss a post, enter your email address in the ‘Follow’ box then click ‘Follow’ or join the conversation on Facebooktwitterpinterest and instagram at Tots2Travel. For any queries or opportunities please email tots2travel@hotmail.com.  Photos courtesy of Scottish Ballet.

city-tripping-linky-badgeculturedkidsbadge

December 24, 2016

Rashmi Gopal Rao

December 15, 2016

Seems really good for the little ones and I love the name “Wee Hansel and Gretel”. So apt for kids; straight out of a fairy tale:)

December 15, 2016

It’s such a gentle introduction for kids into a world they won’t have seen before. Really looking forward to it.

fifi + hop

December 19, 2016

So sweet. I agree, the bigger performances can be hard for the wee ones to sit through. There are a lot of spin offs of the Nutcracker in my area which was great for my girls when they were very young.

December 20, 2016

The Nutcracker is so festive too. Lovely.

January 10, 2017

What a lovely idea to do a cut down version for kids – and you make a persuasive argument for taking them too! It’s a long time since I was last again the ballet but this sounds great with kids. #citytripping

January 11, 2017

I’m looking forward to taking him. He’ll be bamboozled (in a good way!)

pigeonpairandme

January 11, 2017

I took my daughter to a children’s performance of Sleeping Beauty – she loved it. These kinds of ‘intro’ performances for kids are great. This sounds like a fabulous show. I’m popping over from #citytripping but this post would also be perfect for my own #CulturedKids if you wanted to come over and play! Live on the blog now. x

January 11, 2017

Great idea. Will add it tomorrow:-)

pigeonpairandme

January 15, 2017

thanks for joining in!

Trish @ Mum's Gone To

January 11, 2017

The sister of a friend of mine is a Principal dancer with Scottish Ballet – I wonder if she is in this? Her name is Bethany Kingsley-Garner.
    I went to my first ballet at a very young age – La Fille mal Gardée – and adored it.
    #citytripping

January 11, 2017

What a small world. She’s been so supportive, retweeting my tweets about the show. Wonderful dancer.

Trish @ Mum's Gone To

January 11, 2017

Ah that’s lovely to hear. Her sister Abi is a choreographer here in Lincolnshire and worked with our AmDram group on a show we were performing a few years ago.

January 12, 2017

What a wonderfully creative family.

WanderMum

January 15, 2017

I would love to take my daughter to something like this. She loves dancing but we have yet to see a show solely focused around dance. An hour long fairytale dance performance sounds perfect. Thanks for linking #citytripping

January 17, 2017

Somehow your comment ended up in the spam. No idea why. Anyhow I hope a performance like this heads your way soon, there must be rich pickings in London so I hope you find something to inspire your little girl.

WanderMum

January 17, 2017

How weird! Glad you retrieved it. Yes, I should look into some appropriate shows to take her to in London.