Glamis Castle – with Kids

The birthplace of Princess Margaret, the childhood home of the Queen Mother, also (less peacefully) the home of Shakespeare’s character Macbeth, Glamis Castle in the Angus countryside is a grand destination. It’s now a tourist attraction privately owned by the Strathmore family. I wasn’t sure if it was cut out for two preschoolers so we set off to put it to the test.

20170430_113622_resized

Now that’s what I call an approach…

On the approach the first thing that strikes you is … well… the approach. Mr Tot Snr exclaimed, ‘Wow, this is amaaazing’, which is a comment usually reserved for the aisles of Toys R Us. Arriving at the castle we joined a tour, the only way to see the interior. That Saturday it was really busy and it was suggested we join the next tour so that we could ‘enjoy’ it more, to which I looked at my three year old and two year old and laughed – as if any parent of preschoolers gets the opportunity to ‘enjoy’ guided tours. There were about four other kids on the tour, all schoolchildren, so we weren’t alone. A tour is only ever as good as its guide, and our guide Greg was fantastic. He frightened all the kids into silence in the crypt with tales of ghostly card players, he had them counting hundreds of lions in the dining room (cunning) as he explained to the adults how the name Bowes-Lyon came about – when the slightly skint 9th Earl of Strathmore married the wealthy Mary Eleanor Bowes part of the deal was that he took her name. Money talks. Girl power. Meanwhile as we digested this our innocent kids were still counting lions, Greg knew how to trick em!

20170430_133614_resized

Excuse me, can I please come in?

When we entered the Drawing Room my two made a beeline for a pair of tiny chairs by the fireside which weren’t cordoned off. To little ones they simply screamed SIT ON ME. We instinctively dashed after them to remove our darlings from the seats, instinctively feeling they must have some important historical relevance, only to be told that when Her Majesty the Queen and her sister Princess Margaret visited as children they sat on these very seats. Little royal bottoms perched in Glamis!

In some of the rooms, such as the Sitting Room, it did feel quite homely, as if time had stood still. Images of the Queen Mother were dotted around. After an hour of the tour Mr Tot Jnr began to kick off. Overall we felt he’d done well though we didn’t realise we were in the penultimate room so Greg radioed for an assistant (as you can’t wander around the castle unaccompanied) and we were set free without any shame. Overall I rated our experience as Greg entertained kids, informed and engaged adults, and released those with tiny tots who’d hit their limit. The older children seemed to easily handle things.

20170430_130446_resized

Glamis’ rather cool rustic kitchen cafe

The cafe had a children’s menu including Mull cheddar sandwiches, sausage and mash, and penne pasta with tomato sauce. Service was quick and we had a casual lunch before hitting the grounds.

The estate is vast and elegant. Whilst the little ones ran off energy, myself and Mr Husband had a relatively civilised walk in the sun. The Italian gardens were immaculate. Then we passed through mature woodland till we reached one of the largest walled gardens I’ve experienced. The gates to the walled garden alone looked like gates to another castle, it’s huge.

The day ended with an solid forty minutes play at the castle’s wooden playpark. With a flying fox and apparatus for mixed age groups, it’s a great wee outdoor kindergym for mini tourists. To see our YouTube video about the playground click here. Whilst visiting a castle is always a bit of treat we spent most of the day there so I’d consider it a good investment.

20170430_140540_resized

Approaching the Walled Garden

THE LOWDOWN – We drove from Aberdeen for an hour to reach Glamis, just south of Forfar. Ticket prices can be found here.

If you like what you read then don’t miss a post, enter your email address in the ‘Follow’ box then click ‘Follow’ or join the conversation on Facebooktwitterpinterest and instagram at Tots2Travel. Tots2Travel received complimentary passes for review purposes. For any queries or opportunities please email tots2travel@hotmail.com. All images copyright of Tots2Travel.

20170430_142955_resized

Play time…

culturedkidsbadge

lisalambert38 - Mumdadplus4.co.uk

May 29, 2017

This place looks fab but far for us as a day trip but one to remember if staying over, I love stuff like this and sounds the guides are really good as well.

May 29, 2017

I gave the tour guide the credit he deserved, really entertaining and informative chap.

beccajtalbot

May 30, 2017

This castle looks beautiful, especially the gardens 🙂 sounds like the guide was really good, which always makes a trip a lot better! x

June 1, 2017

A good guide is like a good teacher at school, they make things genuinely interesting!

Cultural Wednesday

June 2, 2017

Greg sounds like an excellent guide. I had no idea Princess Margaret was born at Glamis. Your picture of the approach looks amazing, all in all it sounds like an excellent day out #CulturedKids

June 2, 2017

Yes 21 August 1930. There’s a memorial to her there in the grounds as well.

KizimKouture

June 2, 2017

That looks lovely, and you’re right, a good tour guide really makes all the difference.

June 2, 2017

Especially one that can relate to both adults and kids simultaneously.

steph_baybee

June 2, 2017

I can see why you got a ‘WOW’ on the approach to it, stunning and looks like a great day out

June 2, 2017

The driveway is so long. It must have been magical approaching by horse and carriage (in my romantic mind anyway).

Jenny (The Little Adventurer)

June 2, 2017

I am always terrified by the idea of guided tours with young children, it is reassuring to hear that the guides here are well equipped in keeping them entertained. The grounds and the playground sound great too. #culturedkids

June 2, 2017

Well if it doesn’t quite work out just leave politely. We had to be radioed off in the penultimate room which was no problem at all. I’m not saying it’s 100% ideal but they enjoyed 90% of it and, aged 2, that’s not bad at all!

Allison

June 3, 2017

It’s so nice when tour guides are good with kids. Not all of them are. #CulturedKids

June 4, 2017

An investment in the future really.

laurasidestreet

June 4, 2017

Oh wow what a fantastic castle to explore and the perfect place for a fun day out with the kids. I really want to visit this place

June 5, 2017

Time to plan a trip to Scotland:-)

The Hoopers

June 5, 2017

A tour makes all the difference I think. it’s so hard to soak in the information from a sheet or poster! Looks like a fantastic day out #culturedkids

June 5, 2017

I definitely take in more info from a human guide than a film or info board.

pigeonpairandme

June 5, 2017

Sharing a bottom-perch with the queen – there’s not many youngsters that can make that claim! Thanks for linking up with #CulturedKids

June 7, 2017

I was a bit mortified when I discovered. Clearly not little seats to be sat upon!

Wherejogoes

June 7, 2017

Check out those turrets! This castle has fairytale written all over it, I’d definitely do the tour, great tip. It looks a great place to take children too, so much history. #CulturedKids

June 9, 2017

A good mix of everything for a varied day out. A little bit of something for everyone.

Sarah Ebner (@sarahjebner)

June 11, 2017

I love castles, so this really appeals to me, especially with such a recent famous inhabitant. our kids are older, so I think it would work really well for us (though I think they’d get more from the playground if they were younger!). Right up our street….#culturedkids

June 13, 2017

The older kids would last the tour no bother, our three old was grand, only our tot threw in the towel after an hour! 🙂

daisythebus

June 27, 2017

Wow – that is one bombastic castle! I do like the look of the kitchen / café – I wonder how those lampshades would look in my kitchen? 😉 Great that there is a decent playground there too. #CulturedKids

June 29, 2017

They’d probably look pretty impressive!