Photo Journal – Brodie Castle Playful Garden

Finding somewhere new and innovative to take the kids is always a fun way to spend time on google. But we’re here to help. Scots2Travel visited the recently opened Playful Garden at Brodie Castle in Morayshire for a morning’s entertainment, and we were pretty surprised by what we found!

Giant bunny anyone? Brodie Castle Playful Garden

The garden’s strength is how quirky and unusual it is. The first impression is Scotland’s biggest bunny rabbit sculpture. Who knew we needed one?!! My kids didn’t know what to make of it but absolutely loved it. Even as adults it’s so unusual I had to touch it and find out more, it was such a curious object. Slightly bonkers in a brilliant way.

Mirror, mirror on the lawn

The toys and apparatus stimulate the senses – from water and reflective mirrors, to musical instruments and megaphones. It’s a slightly surreal sensory place, so it stands out from your average play area. There are some fun challenges, some toys are very high, others include the possibility of getting totally soaked, so there’s a little bit of jeopardy for youngsters (and parents).

Jump across the fast-flowing river to discover a magic island kingdom!!

Another thing to mention is to bring a change of clothes if your kids like wading and playing in the water area. Mine certainly did.

Play for all the senses within the Playful Garden

An indoor soft play area and café are also draws, especially if the weather takes a turn for the worse, or if you simply need coffee.

What Shall we Do Here?

Considering many playgrounds are free, the Playful Garden is relatively expensive, but if you’re a member of the National Trust for Scotland it’s completely free and you can visit as often as you wish. Ultimately that’s the entire point of NTS membership, it pays to be a member. But take a look at the pictures, read a little more from the NTS here, and decide if a wee trip to Brodie is tempting for your tribe.

Beautiful music, at Brodie Castle’s Playful Garden

Our Story – We spent a weekend in Morayshire, so discover where to stay and an extensive list of family friendly things to do and place to eat by clicking here.

If you like what you read then don’t miss a post, enter your email address in the follow box and You’re In, join the conversation on Facebook, or check out the bonny photos on Instagram. For any queries or opportunities please email scots2travel@hotmail.com. Images and text copyright of Scots2Travel. Check out our Privacy Policy here.  Scots2Travel were guests of the National Trust for Scotland for review and press purposes.

Musical Youth. Such raw talent 🙂
January 3, 2019

Kathi

January 20, 2019

This looks like the perfect playground for all ages! I’m hoping to spend some time in Moray this year and Brodie Castle would definitely be on my list now – kids or no kids; I want to touch that bunny! Can’t imagine what it was like to pitch that to the garden designers 😀

January 20, 2019

It’s a very quirky addition. The castle is very elegant, and I believe it has 400 years of Brodie clan history.

Nicola holland

January 22, 2019

I had no idea Brodie Castle had so much for kids, it looks like so much fun! I’ll need to visit in the summer

January 22, 2019

It’s a really quirky, original and memorable garden. I did have to interact with the kids more, as they’re used to slides and swings, so needed a little encouragement with certain installations that were completely alien to them, but when it came to the giant bunny, castle and xylophones they were in their element.

Yvette Morrissey

January 22, 2019

This is the dream of my childhood. What lucky kids- I’m sure they’ll remember this place when they’re older

January 22, 2019

They’ll never forget that bunny! 🙂

Claire Jessiman 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🍽🥂 (@foodiequine)

January 23, 2019

I’ve not been to Brodie in years but the giant rabbit has convinced me of the need to revisit. The whole gardens remind me a bit of The Alnwick Garden. Even my teenagers would love them.

January 25, 2019

You should. It’s a grand day out.
      I don’t know anything about the Alnwick Garden – google beckons me…

pigeonpairandme

January 25, 2019

This is a lot more interesting than the (slightly boring) standard swings, climbing frames and roundabout. I bet your kids won’t forget the bunny in a hurry! #CulturedKids

January 25, 2019

It’s innovative and memorable. It’s nice to experience something different.

Scarlett Roitman

January 25, 2019

What a bunny! Love the mirror park, such a beautiful way to reflect the natural world. #CULTUREDkids

January 25, 2019

I liked the mirror park too. And I even got time to contemplate it as the children mauled the bunny!

bavariansojourn

January 26, 2019

It truly is a playful garden, what a great day out for little ones (and grown ups!). Love the giant bunny, it reminds me of me somehow lying on a beach! 😀 Thanks so much for joining in with #CulturedKids

January 26, 2019

I look a bit like a relaxed pale creature on the beach too, with kids climbing all over me 🙂

Nancy | MapandFamily

February 4, 2019

Playful by name….! The bunny is a bit bonkers but it’ll make the garden memorable and I do like the fact they can get their feet wet – good idea to add the warning about the change of clothes. We used to scramble around a lot in the New Forest when the boys were that age and I learnt the hard way!

February 4, 2019

Exactly, though they did play with it for ages, clambering all over the poor fella! I’m sure he’ll be very popular this Easter!
      Yes, kids love getting wet, or risk getting wet. But then they require to be miraculously dry again swiftly!

Catherine’s Cultural Wednesdays

February 6, 2019

I thought that bunny would be the most captivating thing and then I saw the mirrors, what an amazing place

February 8, 2019

It’s quite different, and if you’re a member of NTS it’s free.