Photo Journal – Slains Castle, Aberdeenshire

Photo Journals – when pictures speak louder than words…

Setting off from Aberdeen on our coastal leg of the North East 250 road trip, our first stop was Slains Castle just beyond Cruden Bay. It’s said to have inspired Bram Stoker when writing ‘Dracula’.

We took the boys in search of vampires, just like in CBBC’s Scream Street, for a blustery morning in Aberdeenshire.

Approaching the ruined castle

Keeping a keen eye out for vampires

A room with a view

A bit blustery – Mr Husband ‘frolics’ in sea foam

Slain Castle foam floats in the air

Slains Castle is woefully lacking any signage, but follow your nose, up a dirt track, just beyond Cruden Bay. You can see the ruins in the distance. Children cannot be left unsupervised here – the notion of ruins on a clifftop says it all, but they’ll have a fab wee adventure.

Our Story – We drove from Aberdeen to Slains Castle, before continuing on the North East 250 route (more info to come). We carried on to Peterhead for lunch at the Harbour Spring, before overnighting at the Banff Springs Hotel in Banff (review to come).

If you like what you read then don’t miss a post, enter your email address in the follow box and You’re In, or join the conversation on Facebook. For any queries or opportunities please email scots2travel@hotmail.com

March 22, 2018

Josh

March 18, 2018

Ture the title.. liked the costume of the little vampire hunter☺️

March 20, 2018

Cosy tots are quiet tots! I prefer that to the ‘Can I go back to the Car, I’m COOOOOOLD variety’. 🙂

March 19, 2018

Slains Castle sounds like the perfect place for an adventure

March 20, 2018

Especially mini adventures 🙂

fashionandstylepolice

March 19, 2018

Love the sound of the Slain’s Castle. Sounds great.

Rachel

March 19, 2018

Wow what a beautiful castle and place to visit – love the photo ‘a room with a view’ – stunning!

March 20, 2018

Thank you. The castle’s not that far from me, but I’ve never visited before. A real incentive to visit what’s on your doorstep.

Steph Renovation Bay-Bee

March 19, 2018

That castle looks amazing, my son who loves history would love to visit that

March 20, 2018

The added sense of rawness and danger would probably also appeal. I certainly wouldn’t like to be there after dark!

Emily Leary

March 20, 2018

I love the ‘room with a view’ photo. I’m now off to find out more about the history of Slains Castle!

March 20, 2018

Thanks. It was hugely atmospheric. Happy researching!

Cathy

March 22, 2018

It looks an amazing place to explore, slightly eerie. Great photos x

March 22, 2018

Eerie is a good word for it. And that’s in bright sunshine, would not like to be anywhere near the place after dark!

Cultural Wednesday

April 6, 2018

So annoying when there are no signs, or even worse signs that peter out at the final moment. Those cliff top ruins do look very atmospheric, you can see how they would inspire great fiction. Thank you for linking up to #CulturedKids

April 6, 2018

I actually wonder if nobody signposts it as it might somehow make an organisation/council liable for any accidents i.e. encouraging people to visit. It is a ruin after all!

Cultural Wednesday

April 6, 2018

Very true!

oregongirlaroundtheworld

April 7, 2018

Reminds me of the Abbey ruins down in Whitby, North Yorkshire – which is also claims ties to Bram and his vampires. Love the moody coast atmosphere and my older kids would like the “treasure hunt” to find the place, IF it weren’t terribly cold. I can picture Brad Pitt here. 😉 Cheers from Denmark, where our “ghosts” are those ghastly Vikings. *wink, wink. #CulturedKids

April 7, 2018

We’ll be in Yorkshire in July so I’ll look up the ruins just in case we’re in that vicinity. Thank you.

Nell (Pigeon Pair and Me)

April 8, 2018

I do love those sea foam pics! #CulturedKids

April 9, 2018

A bit Ibiza-esque!

Trish @ Mum's Gone To

April 9, 2018

I love hearing about all these fantastic Scottish driving routes. My husband’s uncle, who is still driving safely in his 80s, has just completed the North Coast 500 and the South West Coastal 300. Look forward to reading more about this one – my husband mentioned a while ago he fancied doing it.
    #culturedkids

April 9, 2018

This one is half the length of the 500, being 250, so ideal perhaps for those looking to drive shorter distances. It still ticks all the Scottish boxes, moreso in fact, as it includes Balmoral Castle, the whisky distilleries of Speyside, and the coastal route from Buckie to Aberdeen. Perhaps best to book a hotel and cut down the driving on the Speyside leg!

Mandi

April 16, 2018

It looks like such a beautiful place to visit! #CulturedKids

April 17, 2018

We’re definitely spoiled when it comes to castles!

Mandi

April 16, 2018

Aberdeen looks like such a great place to visit. I would really love to take my kids and dog to Scotland. #CulturedKids

April 17, 2018

Ideal territory for family (and a dog too).