Tips for Fighting the Post-Vacation Blues

As the Tattie (or October/Mid Term) Holidays come to an end it’s lovely to have a guest post from The Traveling Gals to ease that post-holiday dip.  The Gals have a wonderful blog so take a look.  Meanwhile as the nights draw in here are some ideas to keep the reminiscing positive!

You get home from the airport. It feels so great to use your own bathroom and sleep in your own bed. You head back to work, get back into your routine, and all of a sudden it feels like you never even went anywhere.

Anyone who has been on a trip, particularly a long trip, knows this feeling. It is kind of strange when you are sitting work thinking, ‘Wow last week at this time I was snorkeling/hiking/lounging next to the pool drinking a Mai Tai.’

Beach - The Traveling Gals

Would rather be here.

While this may seem like a ridiculous problem to have, post-vacation blues (or post-vacation depression) is actually considered a real psychological thing that people experience.

Here are some tips that we use to try to not get so dang depressed after coming back from a trip.

1. Tell people about your trip! Share stories, funny moments, times when things went completely opposite of the plan, that time you got on the wrong bus and had to try to in. Post all your amazing pictures on Facebook and Instagram. When I got back from my trip to Vietnam and Cambodia I posted an album of 591 pictures on Facebook. And I ran into people who told me they went through every single picture and loved seeing what it was like in those countries. (There is a caveat to this. Unfortunately some people cannot travel. You might run into a few who will understandably get jealous and upset, but in my opinion most will like to hear about it.)
  2. Display all of your souvenirs. This is one that we enjoy. Our condo is decorated with a myriad of travel souvenirs. We have even framed some drawings and a few of our photos. It’s nice to have a quick reminder while walking into the kitchen. If you have read our previous posts you know that us gals love buying magnets and have accumulated quite the collection over the years!
  3. Try cooking some local meals. Or attempt to. Or just go to an authentic restaurant from the country you traveled. While it isn’t the same as actually enjoying the meal in the country, it is as close as you can get. Is there a coffee shop near you that sells coffee from that country? Or was there a local beer that you really enjoyed? See if there is a specialty store that sells it.
  4. Write a diary or blog about your trip. For two of the really long trips I have done, I have kept a diary. Every once in a while I go back and read through it and the memories and excitement that I feel is, well, such a great feeling! You can also blog about your trip and share it with the world. Or keep your own private blog just for you. It’s a great way to reminisce because you can’t remember every detail from your trip.
  5. Plan your next trip. Start thinking of where you want to go next, even if you won’t be able to go on another vacation for a while. Search Pinterest for inspiration. Make a bucket list. For example: I already have an entire trip to Iceland planned out and I am pretty sure it will be another year or 2 before I can actually afford to go.

How will you deal with those post-holiday blues?  Add any suggestions in the comments and roll on Summer 2016!

Maggie

October 26, 2015

I try to plan 2 and 3 trips in advance, so I always have something on the horizon. They might not all be BIG trips, but at least they are a break from the routine.

October 28, 2015

Where are you going next? Go on, make me jealous!

Caroline @ In Due Time

October 26, 2015

I TOTALLY get in a funk post vacay, and we travel quite a bit! These are great ideas to help!

October 28, 2015

Photographs are the best memory aids I find

siniciliya

October 26, 2015

I always ccook local meals when I return and usually take 3-4 days to edit pictures! This helps me make the trip last a bit longer

October 28, 2015

Yes, photos are the best. I treasure them.

Beth

October 26, 2015

I always cook the meals and then plan another one. You have to have something to look forward to right?!?!?!?

Beth x

GiGi Eats Celebrities

October 26, 2015

The post vacation blues – ARE THE WORST EVER!!!!!!! Ugh. That’s 1/2 the reason why I don’t want to travel, but I do LOVE traveling so I try not to think about post-travel!

October 28, 2015

Usually I love getting home to my house and friends, it’s the weather that gets to me!

Sina @ Vegan Heaven

October 27, 2015

I think planning the next trip is the best idea. 🙂 I always suffer from post vacation blues!

October 28, 2015

Yes, lovely and lucky to have nice things in the diary.

Deanna J

October 27, 2015

I always plan on blogging my trip, but it usually ends up getting pushed off! Great tips…. especially planning the next trip!

October 28, 2015

I try to switch off a little on holiday, and give my family a break from my blogging 🙂 As usual it’s all about balance.

Iyanna

October 28, 2015

These are all great tips! I know everyone can relate to having those blues when they come back from paradise. I can imagine it is exceptionally hard for newly weds coming back from their honeymoon. It’s also funny or souvenirs can be so cheesy lol. I guess because it will be an easy way talk about your vacation… Thanks for sharing 🙂

October 28, 2015

Often souvenirs that look lush and colourful on holiday look kinda tatty at home. Strange that 🙂

Rae

October 28, 2015

I am especially fond of the “cook some local meals” ideas. Especially if I have the brains to acquire the speciality items at said exotic locale. And your photo is beautiful.

October 28, 2015

The smells of a place are often hard to recreate. Cooking is one way to attempt this. I’ve never been able to get a decent masala chai since returning from India 🙂

lorigraceh

October 28, 2015

These are great tips! We had a great trip to the Oregon Coast in late summer and used some of these ideas.

Laura

November 2, 2015

These are all great ideas! I definitely love trying to recreate my own version of favorite meals I tried while traveling. It’s a great way to learn something new while bringing back familiar tastes and happy memories. Thanks for sharing!

November 2, 2015

Cooking also brings back the smells of a place which can be so powerful.