Day Out – Young Diner’s Afternoon Tea at Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House

20160203_122440_resized

Cake!  More pictures of treats below

Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House hotel, a beautiful country pile in rural Aberdeenshire, now offers a startling wonderful but simple idea – a Young Diner’s Afternoon Tea.  Why isn’t every hotel doing this?

What makes this genius – apart from the cake – is that any hotel can claim to be ‘child friendly’, but by putting a ‘Young Diner’s Afternoon Tea’ on the menu, in black and white, you are going beyond the ‘child friendly’ platitude where they nibble from your plate.  Ardoe is actively catering for the little terrors and this is terribly important to families because, as a parent, I am now confident in bringing my cherub with me and feeling welcome.

20160203_115920_resized

Mr Toddler approaches the Four Star Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe House

So I sat Mr Toddler down at home, stared him in the eye then explained to him that we were attempting our first mother and son date- little brother wasn’t coming, daddy wasn’t coming and nanny wasn’t coming- and this grand event was in training for when he’s older and it’s his turn to take his old mum out for mother’s day, the odd birthday, or maybe just because it’s Sunday and he loves her.  Mr Toddler looked particularly disinterested in my pep talk but rallied at the promise of lunch.

20160203_120323_resized

I’ll just read a book about lions while I wait…

And so we were off.  Ardoe House could be a backdrop for a costume drama – the perfect setting to take tea (even with a rugrat).  We were led through to the drawing room with its log fire, historical portraits and unblemished sofas and I had a slight panic – perhaps a toddler was too young for tea, what would he do to the furniture etc.?  But to encourage other parents to just go forth and try things Mr Toddler somehow sensed this was special, check him out reading his book waiting for his order to arrive.  I was blown away, though I did remove his shoes as a precaution.

20160203_121736_resizedThen he decided to take in the grounds with a jolly good look out of the window.  To be fair in a building like this there’s a lot to look at, the fine art of distraction was relatively straightforward.

The service at Ardoe was quick enough for a child’s extremely limited window of patience, which as any parent knows means a great deal.  Mr Toddler was offered a choice of ham or cheese sandwiches and a soft drink as part of his afternoon tea.  Before long he had food in front of him.

But let’s cut to the chase cos I know you really just want to see photos of cake.  Mr Toddler’s afternoon tea looked totally different to mine yet just as appealing.  Yes, his was the child’s version but not in that naff chicken-nugget-second-class-citizen kind of way but in a yummy-celebrate-being-a-kid way.

20160203_122440_resized

He hoofed down the ham sandwiches.  He sampled the hundreds and thousands bread pieces but was a little unsure, the ham were the favourites.

20160203_122455_resized

He loved the Chocolate Crackle Cake, and also the Strawberry Jelly with Ice-cream.  I kindly helped him with the Ardoe Chocolate Shake (unexpected bonus for me) and the Strawberry Marshmallow Skewer, and we took the Smartie Cookie home with us for later.

20160203_122503_resized

Meanwhile I’d selected smoked salmon sandwiches and a plain scone with clotted cream and jam.  I made short work of the Chocolate Brownie and Caramelised Passion Fruit Tart and took the other cakes home.  Overall the pastries and sandwiches were fresh and light with a mix of flavours to tempt varied palates.  Admittedly there was a lot of cake and sugar in front of us but that’s what I expect and wish from an afternoon tea  – it’s a treat – but it was nice to see a little bit of fruit and milk incorporated into the child’s version.  I also appreciated that the Young Diner’s Afternoon Tea was as beautifully presented on a cake stand as any adult version.

With Mother’s Day approaching an outing like this is a bit of a no-brainer.  This experience was open to all ages, I can picture three or four generations sitting down together just sharing some time and cake together – never forget the cake.

Lastly, on a separate note, my pal passes on her older children’s toys to me when they’re finished with them- what she cynically refers to as the ‘never-ending plastic river of toys’.  My point is that with so many toys in circulation having an experience with your child, or buying a voucher as a gift rather than another toy is a novel option.

Yes, of course I worried we would bother the other hotel residents if Mr Toddler kicked off but the staff were very welcoming and the only other guests who joined us in the drawing room were some renowned Scottish football players so I was relatively comfortable that they’d heard worse from the terraces than anything Mr Toddler could throw at them.  He did shout ‘bye guys’ to them as we left and they graciously said goodbye back to him.  So cake and sporting celebrities, that was one hell of an afternoon.

LOWDOWN

Mercure Aberdeen Ardoe Hotel is situated in thirty acres on grounds on the South Deeside Road, a short taxi ride from Aberdeen city centre and its train station.

Afternoon Tea is available from 12 noon till 6pm.  The Classic Afternoon Tea is  £19, the Chocolate Afternoon Tea is £21, the Gluten Free Afternoon Tea is £19 (and requires 24 hours notice) and it’s £12 for a Young Diner’s Afternoon Tea.  If it’s a special occasion, or if you’re just in the mood for some bubbles, upgrade to a Champagne Afternoon Tea for an additional £9.50.

I opted for the Classic Afternoon Tea whereby you select between roast beef, smoked salmon and dill or egg sandwiches/a plain scone or a whisky soaked sultana scone/tea or coffee.

Often you have to order afternoon tea as a couple, but it’s no problem to order one adult afternoon tea and one young diner’s version.

[Tots2Travel were guests at Ardoe Hotel.  Mr Toddler’s opinions are his own as, trust me, you can’t feed a toddler anything he doesn’t want to eat.]

If enjoyed this post please add your email address and hit ‘Follow’ to get Tots2Travel straight to your inbox.  For any comments, queries or opportunities please contact tots2travel@hotmail.com, or join the conversation at www.facebook.com/tots2travel.wordpress

city-tripping-linky-badge

Joanne MacAngus

February 21, 2016

Folloe

cristinaburcus

February 21, 2016

Wow! This sounds like an awesome adventure for you and ‘Mr Toddler’. 😁😁 Lobe it!

February 21, 2016

It was pretty cute. And yummy too.

joylovestravel

February 21, 2016

The food looks so good and what a great idea!

February 21, 2016

I know. The best ideas are so simple. It was a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

joannavictoria

February 22, 2016

I love afternoon tea we went to a local cafe for one recently this looks so delicious

February 22, 2016

It’s such a girly treat, but I like introducing my wee lad to a range of experiences.

VaiChin @RamblingThroughParenthood

February 23, 2016

That afternoon tea looks amazing and what a wonderful setting to enjoy it in!

February 23, 2016

It was lush. It was quality time with my son doing something I actually enjoy. What a wonderful idea.

February 23, 2016

The north east of Scotland is full of castles and restored/converted country houses. We’re definitely spoiled in that respect.

Georgina Prince (@xxgeexx44)

February 23, 2016

This looks fab and really luxurious! It tickled me about your disclaimer you can’t feed a toddle anything they don’t want to eat! too true lol x

February 23, 2016

Thanks. It was a truly lovely afternoon.

Emma White (@TheRealSupermum)

February 23, 2016

oh my that looks absolutely incredible what a fantastic day out and the afternoon tea looks so lovely and what amazing pictures

February 23, 2016

Thank you. It was a treat. Scrumptious.

dearmummyblog

February 23, 2016

What an impressive frontage! We’d love to stay somewhere gothic like this! It looks amazing! Nice review x

February 23, 2016

Thank you. The architecture and atmosphere at Ardoe is pretty special.

Rachel

February 23, 2016

Oh my gosh, those desserts looks just absolutely divine, I love how they are presented x

February 23, 2016

Yes, I really appreciated how the Young Diner’s tea was as beautifully presented as the adult version.

Anosa

February 23, 2016

Omg what a hotel and I bet Mr toddler will be remembering this for years to come, what an amazing adventure you both had.

February 23, 2016

And if he can’t remember (cos he’s so small) he can hopefully read the blog. It is a beautiful hotel and such a treat.

Ana De Jesus

February 23, 2016

Well hello delicious cake, care to get in my belly? Lol they look delicious especially the milkshake, I am obsessed with milkshakes!

February 24, 2016

Yes, such a shame he decided to ‘share’ it.

Grant R

February 24, 2016

Jenny (4) was reading this over my shoulder and was pointing at the cakes telling me how nice they looked. Says it all! And what a beautiful building.

February 24, 2016

I think that’s what’s known as a female subtle hint [even at 4 years old :-)]

Steph

February 24, 2016

I love afternoon tea… It’s probably one of my favourite things to enjoy! I love that there are now children’s versions available x

February 24, 2016

I know. It’s such an obvious idea, and it was so enjoyable.

February 24, 2016

What a fabulous idea. I would love to take mine for afternoon tea but always worry the kids would kick off. Shame it’s not closer

February 24, 2016

I feared the same but I was surprised that he kind of sensed this was special. I also figured that you don’t have much to lose so go for it, if it doesn’t work wait a while and try again!

Kaz & Ickle Pickle (@IcklePicklex)

February 24, 2016

This looks such a treat – absolutely delicious! I have never had afternoon tea! Kaz x

February 24, 2016

Ok change that as soon as you can 🙂

Zena's Suitcase

February 25, 2016

What a lovely Mother and Son date. I think it’s really important to start children enjoying experiences like this from a young age. The hotel and afternoon tea look amazing

February 25, 2016

It is a lovely place – set the bar high for a first mummy/son date.
      [Maybe when he’s 18 I’ll take him to New York 🙂 ]

March 29, 2016

What a fantastic idea! I love afternoon tea, but I wouldn’t normally dream of taking my daughter until she’s older – there’s something so civilised about afternoon tea, and my three-year-old isn’t always quite so civilised… But this is perfect, properly thought out for small diners, just as beautifully presented and lovely fun touches like the drink. Genius. Thanks for linking up to #citytripping

March 29, 2016

Thank you. I mentioned on Twitter that my little Toddler became a little gentleman (I was shocked) and I had a lovely time with him. Your daughter would love it! I spend so much time with him at soft play, playgrounds etc. that it was nice to do something more geared in my direction yet still very child friendly.

Alice Langley (@ImAliceLangley)

March 29, 2016

Oh what a lovely place to spend some quality time together

March 30, 2016

Heading into the mountains, with a chilled out hotel, did feel a million miles away from work and everyday life.

beatravelling

March 29, 2016

Haven’t done an afternoon tea yet, and I love tea! And the cakes look nice 🙂

March 30, 2016

I’d change that – soon 🙂

Wander Mum

March 31, 2016

What a great idea! Fab for them to have their own afternoon tea to themselves – and good value too – for all parties (or am I just used to London prices?). From my point of view it would have been nice to see a fruit salad or something on the kid’s version – that would go down well with my daughter. Thanks for linking to #citytripping

April 1, 2016

Yes I believe London prices are pretty eye-watering! There was a fruit jelly and fruit skewers so I thought the Vitamin C was incorporated in amongst the treats pretty well but I have no doubt they would have made you up a fruit salad no bother if you asked. It was such a nice afternoon. Mr Toddler even met some famous football players which was a pretty unlikely ending to the day. #citytripping

Wander Mum

April 1, 2016

Perfect! Oh, that’s good to hear they’d do that x

swapna

April 4, 2016

Yummy yummy! Afternoon tea is my fave time. even if it’s just bread and butter!

Would love to see your posts in the Practical Mondays Link Up:)

April 4, 2016

I think we can do better than the ol bread and butter but I take your point. Will look up the Practical Mondays. Thanks for the invite.