Apartment Profile – 'Home Sweet Home', Turin

BC (Before Children) a city break meant getting a tiny, hipster apartment, eating out and big nights at the latest bars – we were barely in our accommodation.  Now things are .. different.  I want somewhere I can cook, somewhere Mr Husband and I can comfortably hang out in the evenings (because we stay in now – sad face) and somewhere where the children can play without damaging themselves or anything else.  Very different remit.  But with the rise of Air BnB you can search for something quite specific to fit your needs – and we found a gem in Turin.

We arrived at Home Sweet Home and were greeted by our host (who lives downstairs so we could bug him any time – we borrowed a brolley and he no doubt heard the delightful pitter patter of our kids’ elephant feet overhead).  He  welcomed us into the apartment and the first impression was that it smelt delicious.  I’ve never experienced accommodation smelling so good.  Cloves and cinnamon I think.

20160501_173130

The Children’s Bedroom

We made a beeline for the kids’ bedroom which was full of toys, cots and beds with funky bedclothes and really quirky decor.  It was huge too.  They settled in to play/fight for the next three days.

20160430_192243

Mr Toddler inspects the Children’s Bedroom

Our bedroom, with its SMACK wall letters, was equally distinctive and creative – though Mr Toddler did keep removing the letter ‘S’ from the wall so we were left with MACK.

20160430_192020

Our Room

The kitchen/diner was a real family room where we could hang out, cook our goodies bought from the market and feel at home.  There was milk in the fridge and some breakfast for the following morning so we didn’t have to worry about stocking the cupboards immediately – this is such a lovely gesture for a host to make and was hugely appreciated.

20160430_192103

The location wins a gold star too.  Located on Via Milano it’s desperately central yet quiet.  There are local markets within walking distance for food and clothes (we somehow forgot to bring a coat for our son – bad parents – so we picked up a cheap new one to replace the Spiderman towel he’d been forced to wear, much to the delight of Italian strangers).  We had the pick of restaurants, gelaterias, palaces, piazzas and museums within walking distance so we were delighted.

20160501_122736

No coat. I look ridiculous.

It was a plentiful apartment, there was no scrimping – the cupboards were packed with towels, there were toiletries as required, basic food in the cupboards (seasoning, olive oil etc.) that you could help yourself too,  slippers and robes in the bathroom.  Everything was in abundance and it felt a very generous stay.

20160430_192109

Sofa in the Dining Kitchen at Home Sweet Home, Turin

Downsides?  It’s on the third floor but this wasn’t as bad as it sounds.  The stairs are broad, Mr Toddler just belted down them, and we could safely leave the buggy in the secure hall each night.  You can’t park at the apartment, or even drop off most of the time, but there’s secure underground parking a few minutes walk away – we managed this with a double buggy, baby, toddler, three cases and additional hand luggage. Even Mr Toddler was roped in to help.

20160503_100558

Pulling his weight on Team Tots2Travel

We found lots of child friendly things  to do in Turin, which I’ll highlight in a separate post, but this apartment was something special.

THE LOWDOWN – We drove from Aberdeen to Edinburgh and flew to Milan with Easyjet, picked up a hire car and drove the hour and a half to Turin.  For an overview of the Piedmont region click here. For our highlights of family activities in Turin click here.

If you like what you read then don’t miss a post, simply enter your email address into the Follow box and click Follow.  Or join the conversation on Facebook.city-tripping-linky-badge

mubeenazam

May 22, 2016

I love the look of this place, looks so family friendly and vibrant

May 23, 2016

It was very family orientated yet a buzzing, city centre location. Couldn’t have asked for more really.

Melissa Smuzynski

May 23, 2016

This looks so cozy! Our traveling style has changed since having a child, as well. We have yet to try AirB&B but we may have to after seeing this.

May 23, 2016

Hi, yes there have been horror stories but we’ve had a good experience so far. You can usually go by the reviews or if you email the host with queries and they’re impossible to get hold of it’s probably a sign to stay away! We’ve found really lovely, homely properties in great locations so it’s worked for us.

joylovestravel

May 23, 2016

Looks gorgeous – love the decor. A delicious smell when you first go in somewhere always makes for a great impression too – sounds like the owners have thought of everything.

May 23, 2016

It was very quirky and thoughtful.

Ahila

May 24, 2016

That’s a lovely AirBnB place. Thanks for sharing it at City Tripping and hope you enjoyed your time in Torino. I visited Torino some years back and loved it.

May 24, 2016

I must confess I did enjoy the chocolate!

travelingchristie

May 24, 2016

Wow this looks incredible I am yet to try AIR BNB i dont fully get it, but all the reviews I am reading are great, I love the decor of this apt it is so cool x

May 24, 2016

What I like about Air BnB is that every property is different and unique, and you can happen upon some really quirky and homely locations.

May 24, 2016

I have become a total AirBNB convert since my daughter was born – we’ve stayed in some fantastic family-friendly places, with loads of baby/child paraphernalia already there, tips from the owners and some really stylish ones too. I definitely appreciate having somewhere to sit in the evenings and eat like a sensible human rather than cowering in a dark hotel room. Incidentally, I suspect my daughter would have flatly refused to wear a coat again if a Spiderman towel had been the alternative option! Thanks for linking up with #citytripping

May 25, 2016

The comedy potential was pretty huge.
      I agree, a living room of your own once the kids are in bed takes on a whole new perspective! And the price is so much better than a hotel suite.

Life360Degrees

May 24, 2016

Awww such a cute place !

May 24, 2016

It was adorable and comfortable.

Emma - meandbmaketea

May 24, 2016

looks absolutely brilliant! never tried airbnb but might be tempted now 🙂 #citytripping

Marta - Learningescapes

May 25, 2016

Lovely apartment and so good to hear the owner was just downstairs! I only used AirBnB once and while the apartment was ok, the fact that there was nobody around left me unsure about the whole experience. I am hoping to bring the kids to Turin so will remember this!

May 25, 2016

A good test is to text the owner with a query before you book, or before you depart. If they’re a nightmare to get hold of then maybe not the best bet!

Sian

May 31, 2016

This apartment looks fantastic, although I fear my two (2 year old twins) would cause far too much damage for us to stay there – just for starters the lure of the lava lamp and midnight piano “playing” sessions would prove irresistible! I also prefer staying in apartments and think Airbnb offers a great solution (we spent 2 weeks in Tokyo last month in an Airbnb house). One thing I definitely do now I travel with kids is assess just exactly how much they can break in the room / apartment before booking – hope I’m not alone in this!

May 31, 2016

I totally get wherd you are coming from. Our one year isn’t at that stage yet and our toddler is outgrowing it. There were so many toys in the apartment that the adult stuff was of no interest to them!