Day Out – Nature Nippers & the National Trust for Scotland

At the weekend I held a huge earthworm and a centipede in my hand – not words I expected to say.  We’d bundled the babies into the car and driven to the picturesque House of Dun in the Angus countryside but we weren’t going to view a civilised stately home, oh no, we were going on an adventure – a mini beast hunt, or as Mr Toddler dramatically claimed ‘a bear hunt’.  He always goes OTT.

20160521_105133

The brave explorers gather to hear their mission…

We’d turned up for one of the National Trust for Scotland‘s renowned Nature Nippers events aimed at pre-school tots.  Our Ranger, Ross, gathered up his gang of intrepid hunters and we set off into the woods around House of Dun in search of beasties.  Along the trail Ross had hidden ‘insects’ for the tots to find and they went hurtling off in search of them.  With each insect discovered the Ranger gave an explanation about the animal in question.  I’m so ignorant about bugs that these chats, aimed at pre-schoolers, worked for me too – millipedes often don’t have eyes (who knew?), that wasp is actually a honey bee (they look so similar!), a ladybird is brightly coloured to discourage birds from eating its poisonous body (ok, I kind of knew that one).

Then the drama increased.  We went in search of REAL beasts.  The Ranger led his brave explorers to a pile of logs and we lifted them up in search of creatures.  It’s pretty startling what you can find if you actually look – the kids were holding snails and slugs with no anxiety, phobias or yuck syndrome.  They were fascinated.  I was proud as punch when I found a giant earthworm in the grass (competitive mum), Mr Husband found a centipede (competitive dad) and Mr Toddler and the other children were encouraged to  hold them – gold stars all round.

The Nature Nippers sessions are ideal for toddlers and pre-schoolers.  They last around an hour and each one is different so locals can attend all the events in the area if they wish – activities include building a nest like a bird, exploring the woods or trying to grow plants from seeds.

20160521_110247

These kids are a blur…

The Trust’s Head of Countryside, Arthur Martin said, ‘These events feed children’s curiosity, allowing them to explore nature for themselves and teach how living things grow and survive. It’s a great experience for under fives, designed especially for them and led by our experienced countryside rangers’.  Encouraging kids to get out in the fresh air, engaging with the land around them and having a hoot at the same time can only be a good thing.

The Nature Nippers events run at several NTS properties across Scotland:-

Crathes Castle, Aberdeenshire – events till 4 October 2016

Culzean Castle & Country Park, Ayrshire – till 15 December 2016

Glencoe & Dalness, Highlands – till 1 December 2016

House of Dun & Montrose Nature Basin, Angus – till 15 October 2016

Inveresk Lodge Garden & Newhailes, Edinburgh & Lothian – till 1 December 2016

Malleny Garden, Edinburgh – till 3 June 2016

Whatever the weather kids will enjoy a Nature Nippers outing but when the sun shines it’s a pretty fab way to spend a morning.  Search for more info and ticket details here.

20160521_115532

Admiring House of Dun

Tots2Travel were guests of the National Trust for Scotland – Mr Toddler says Tankoo – he’s working on his enunciation.

THE LOWDOWN – we drove from Aberdeen to House of Dun, near Montrose.  Montrose is also served by trains by Scotrail and Virgin Trains East Coast.  The station is a ten minute taxi ride from House of Dun.

If you like what you read then don’t miss a post, simply enter your email address into the Follow box and click Follow.  Or join the conversation on Facebook.  For queries or opportunities please email tots2travel@hotmail.com.

Rashminotes

May 26, 2016

A great learning experience for the children too!

May 29, 2016

We all learnt something- my insect knowledge is quite low.

joylovestravel

May 26, 2016

I think I would have loved this as much as the little ones!! Sounds like a great day – and blue skies too!!

May 29, 2016

Never been so pleased to see a worm before!

Anabel Marsh

May 30, 2016

What an amazing bank holiday we’ve had! Blue skies and sun – unheard of. We got to Drumlanrig and Jupiter Artland, both very good. Not sure I’d have been so keen to hold a worm…..

May 30, 2016

Worms aren’t compulsory but I wish the sunshine was!

Anabel Marsh

Me too!

joannavictoria

May 30, 2016

This looks like such a great learning experience definitely would do something like this with my little one.

May 30, 2016

It was well thought out but also involving for adults.

Keely

May 30, 2016

Sounds like a brilliant adventure out. I remember doing something similar as a child at Primary school!

Those were the days!

Joanna

May 30, 2016

It’s great when the National Trust orgainises this kind of quests for children, so that they can learn about the different bugs in nature and don’t be afraid when they meet one.

May 30, 2016

The National Trust for Scotland also is running Nature Detectives for 7-11 year olds so lots going on.

Vai Chin @Rambling Through Parenthood

May 30, 2016

Looks like you had an amazing day. I always find nature trails really interesting. There is so much to learn even for grown ups.

May 31, 2016

I was desperately ignorant!

Jess Powell (Babi a Fi)

May 30, 2016

Aw, this looks like great fun! I’m not an outdoorsy person by nature so I love nature trails and things where someone else leads! x

May 31, 2016

It was a gentle stroll through the woods really and the sun was shining so suitable for all really.

Ana De Jesus

May 30, 2016

Looks like you all managed to find some exciting creatures, a bit of healthy competition is good for the soul. I loved nature trails as a kid!

May 31, 2016

Yip. Never been so pleased to find a worm.

May 31, 2016

Oh we are coming to Angus next year, looking forward to it even more now – the photos are beautiful

June 1, 2016

I’d also recommend a place called Charleton Farm – absolutely amazing for kids.

Melanie Edjourian

May 31, 2016

That sounds great my girls love all sorts of mini beasts so they’d really love something like that.

June 1, 2016

Since we’ve been home Mr Toddler has been looking for snails in the garden so I’m pleased it’s all stayed with him. Happy exploring with your girls.

annamariavas9

June 1, 2016

what a great adventure and you seem to made new friends haha. The photos are beautiful. 🙂

June 2, 2016

I ran into someone I went to school with 20 years ago – bizarre. Our kids played together. lovely.

Grant - Looking for the Postman

June 1, 2016

The National Trust for Scotland caters so well for children and family events. Their Easter and Christmas events at Pollok House in Glasgow are such fun and in a beautiful house!

June 1, 2016

Always something going on. We’re a bit ruined in Aberdeen/shire with 300 castles. Will put Pollok House on the list for the next time I’m in Glasgow – we just got back from a weekend there on Sunday.

Grant - Looking for the Postman

June 1, 2016

300! Wow. That’s rather special. My grandfather had a hotel out in Braemar which had an amazing village and surroundings. A lovely part of the world.

Chloe Ciliberto

June 4, 2016

What a fascinating adventure. The National Trust are so brilliant for putting on things for children aren’t they? They never disappoint. x

June 6, 2016

It was definitely well though out and educational yet fun. You can’t ask for more.